Thursday, November 03, 2005

I need a vacation

I love waking up in the morning and remembering a dream that I had. While I rarely remember them, I'm convinced that it's true that I dream every night. My mood for the day probably depends a lot of how satisfying or comforting my dreams were the night before. But, like I said, I don't usually rememeber them too often to analyze them. And I do study a detailed dream extensively.

I mostly dream about things that are relevant to what's going on in my life. I've always trusted my instincts and I feel like many dreams are my unconscious helping me in a moment lacking clarity. For example, if I'm in a fight with a friend of mine and I dream of our reconciliation, I'll take my actions in the dream as a sign of what I need to do to fix the problem. A little more basic - if I can't decide to go to college for biology or education and then I have a dream where I'm working in a genetics lab, I know that I should become a natural science major at Fordham. The dream is a great way to tap into your own desires that you struggle to understand when you're awake. When you're sleeping, there's no one else around to sway your decision and you can come to understand what you really want.

The other thing that I've found to be true in my dreams is that they help me to see what the future brings. No, I don't think I'm psychic (well, most of the time) or anything, but they do bring some sort of insight to what's to come. Like last night...when I dreampt that I was underwater. It wasn't a nightmare, it wasn't scary - I was just underwater for a long time and felt that I was drowning. I've had similar dreams before and know that it means I'm feeling overwhelmed.

Did this dream predict the future? Yes. The severity of this problem hit me today when I went to check my mail. No fun care package, but there was a letter from the dean. Basically, "FYI you're in danger of failing your history class". Yeah, the class with the poor midterm grade. Ah - the drowning.

Am I overwhelmed? God yes. I'm not a slacker - for those of you who don't know me I'm actually a dean's list student (not being a snob, I'm just proud of my 3.7 and upset about this semester). But this year's been so difficult. I kind of feel like I'm living here because my job as an RA requires me to and that I also happen to take a couple of classes. I don't feel like a student who also happens to be an RA. Agh.

1 Comments:

Blogger Godot said...

History is tough, if you ever need a hand...

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home