Saturday, November 05, 2005

Anyone know of a better hiding place than SI?

So, I'm home for the weekend which is something that I usually look foward to, because it's a nice break from my Fordham reality. It's like a miniature version of that vacation that I always need. Not this weekend. First of all, I had a really long night, because I got in late and then hung out with some friends and then realized at 4,30am that I had to catch a bus to Staten Island 4 hours later. So I actually didn't go to bed. Anyhow, I get home to unwind around 9am and my mommy welcomes me with the same biggg bear hug I always get - like I've been away for a year - I love every ounce of it.

This morning, after the hug, my mommy decided to tell me the things that have been going on in Staten Island that she didn't want to "burden me with while I was busy at school". My grandfather's in the hospital. He's been there for a couple of weeks now and he has cancer. In the third stage. Yea, not relaxing.

The thing that pisses me off so much is that my grandfather is an extremely stubborn man. He's felt sick for a couple of months now, but he refused to tell his doctor what was wrong. When we asked him why he didn't mention it, he said that he felt okay the day he went to the doctor. I guess the few months before then didn't count...? Agh. The cancer that he has? Totally curable if one has had regular physicals and taken the proper tests for someone his age. But no - he's thick.

Now it's not curable. And basically, my parents have told me that I'd better make time this weekend to see him at the hospital in Brooklyn, because that might be it. He's getting a triple bi-pass next week and then if and when he recovers is scheduled to begin chemo. I want to crawl under a rock somewhere...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home